Tax Data Series

Individual Income Tax

Individual Income Tax
2003 Income Tax Returns By Income Class

A total of 5,299,150 Ohio personal income tax returns were filed for tax year 2003 (April 15, 2004 filing deadline). This represented a decrease of 0.1 percent from the number of returns filed the previous year. Total federal adjusted gross income of approximately $266.3 billion was reported on the returns, an increase of 3.8 percent from the amount reported for 2002. The average federal adjusted gross income per return was $50,263, an increase of 3.9 percent from 2002. Taxpayers claimed personal exemptions ($1,250 per person) valued at approximately $13.2 billion, an average of $2,485 per return, or slightly less than 2 exemptions per return. Ohio taxable income as reported on the returns was $247.1 billion, an average of $46,639 per return.

Ohio's graduated income tax rates are applied to the Ohio taxable income figure to obtain the tax liability before any credits are calculated. The 2003 tax rates were applied to segments of taxable income, with a 0.743 percent rate applied to the first $5,000 of every taxpayer's taxable income up to a top rate of 7.50 percent on that portion of a taxpayer's taxable income which exceeded $200,000. Applying these graduated tax rates to Ohio taxable income for all taxpayers yielded a figure of about $11.4 billion. Net tax liability after subtraction of the personal exemption credit, joint filer credit for two working spouses, senior citizen credit, and other credits was $8.1 billion, an increase of 2.8 percent over the previous year's tax liability. The average income tax liability was $1,520 per return which was 2.9 percent higher than in 2002.

All figures shown in table Y-1 were compiled from returns filed for tax year 2003 with the Ohio Department of Taxation.