Tax Data Series

Individual Income Tax

Personal Income Tax
2002 Income Tax Returns By Income Class

A total of 5,304,827 Ohio personal income tax returns were filed for tax year 2002 (April 15, 2003 filing deadline). This represented a decrease of 1.5 percent from the number of returns filed the previous year. Total federal adjusted gross income of approximately $256.6 billion was reported on the returns, an increase of 0.3 percent from the amount reported for 2001. The average federal adjusted gross income per return was $48,380, an increase of 1.8 percent from 2001. Taxpayers claimed personal exemptions ($1,150 per person) valued at approximately $12.6 billion, an average of $2,381 per return, or slightly more than 2 exemptions per return. Ohio taxable income as reported on the returns was $238.0 billion, an average of $44,861 per return.

Ohio's graduated income tax rates are applied to the Ohio taxable income figure to obtain the tax liability before any credits are calculated. The 2002 tax rates were applied to segments of taxable income, with a 0.743 percent rate applied to the first $5,000 of every taxpayer's taxable income up to a top rate of 7.50 percent on that portion of a taxpayer's taxable income which exceeded $200,000. Applying these graduated tax rates to Ohio taxable income for all taxpayers yielded a figure of about $10.7 billion. Net tax liability after subtraction of the personal exemption credit, joint filer credit for two working spouses, senior citizen credit, and other credits was $7.8 billion, a decrease of 0.1 percent over the previous year's tax liability. The average income tax liability was $1,477 per return which was 1.4 percent higher than in 2001

All figures shown in table Y-1 were compiled from returns filed for tax year 2002 with the Ohio Department of Taxation.