Filing Season Central
Filing Season begins January 27, 2020
Tax Filing Deadline is April 15, 2020
This page serves as an online headquarters for taxpayers looking for more information about the Ohio individual and school district income tax. Click here to see what's new for tax year 2019.
Call us toll-free at 1-800-282-1780 (1-800-750-0750 for persons who use text telephones (TTYs) or adaptive telephone equipment). We are available to assist you from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. However, service will be extended until 7 p.m. from April 8, 2020 through April 15, 2020.
You can email your question 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We strive to provide an answer within 1-2 business days.
Filing Season Resources
- Where’s my refund? — You can check on the status of your refund 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can also check your refund status by calling our automated system at 1-800-282-1784. If you submitted your return(s) by mail, your refund status may not be available for a few weeks.
- Electronic filing options — Online services is a free, secure electronic portal where you can file returns, make payments, and view additional information regarding your Ohio individual and school district income taxes.
- Ohio income tax forms — Fill-in versions of the 2019 IT 1040 and SD 100 are available as well as the 2019 Ohio income tax instructions.
- Make a payment — If you owe, you can pay by credit card or electronic check using our ePayment system. You can also pay by paper check with the correct payment voucher(s), available on our forms page.
- Your 1099 documents are available electronically — Register and log into Online Services and click on the "View Ohio 1099s" option. Answers to some of the more frequently asked questions concerning 1099s are here.
- Filing Season Tips — Avoid common issues that could delay processing of your return or cause you to owe additional tax, interest and/or penalties.
- Verify a refund check — This page answers common questions about the Department of Taxation's paper refund checks.
Ohio Income Tax Information
- Ohio filing requirements — This page provides information on who does and does not need to file an Ohio income tax return.
- School district income tax — This page provides information on Ohio's school district income tax.
- Understanding residency — This page provides information on determining your Ohio residency status.
- Income taxes and the military — This page answers common questions regarding Ohio income tax for members of the military and their spouses.
- Making estimated payments — This page provides information on determining if you should make estimated payments as well as instructions for making these payments online or by mail.
- Frequently Asked Questions — Select from the "Income" categories to get answers to some of the more frequently-asked questions regarding Ohio income taxes.
- Self-Help — This page provides help with understanding Ohio income tax billing notices as well as informative tutorials.
- Tax Alerts — You can signup to receive notices the Department periodically publishes regarding all of the taxes it administers. You can view an archive of all prior income tax alerts here.
- Information releases — Information releases are technical advisories that offer detailed explanations of the laws, rules and rulings that govern the taxes administered by the Ohio Department of Taxation.
- Annual Report — This excerpt from the 2018 Ohio Department of Taxation Annual Report offers an overview of the Ohio individual income tax.
- IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers — IRS offices provide in-person assistance by appointment.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE): — Free tax return preparation by IRS-certified volunteers is available for qualifying taxpayers. To find a location in your area, click here OR call 1-800-906-9887.
- Tax form line-item law references — These documents provide the statutory reference for each line of the IT 1040 and SD 100.