Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in. A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

Do I have to apply for a motor fuel refund permit to obtain a refund?

No. Ohio no longer requires a motor fuel refund permit to obtain a refund. Refund applications are available at under “Tax Forms”. Each application is available as a PDF or a PDF Fill-In.  Refunds can be applied for by paper or electronically through the Ohio Business Gateway.  Contact the motor fuel division for more information.