Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in. A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

What should I do if I filed my federal return using an Ohio address, but moved into Ohio after the prior tax year was over?

If you didn’t earn any income in Ohio during the tax year, you should file form IT 10 and check box #5 (“I am using an Ohio address for mailing purposes only”).

If you earned income in Ohio during the tax year, you must file an Ohio IT 1040 and check the box indicating you were a nonresident for the tax year.