Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in. A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

Can I file an amended personal property tax return?

Yes, there is a provision for filing an amended return. Ohio Revised Code 5711.26 requires that a Request for Final Assessment must be made, in writing, to the Tax Commissioner (c/o The Ohio Department of Taxation), P.O. Box 530, Columbus OH, 43216-0530). This request must be filed within the statute of limitations (by the second Monday of August of the second calendar year after the year in which the return was originally assessed) and must include the latest assessment and proof that all taxes, penalties and interest have been paid. Example: The statute of limitations for a timely filed 2006 personal property tax return expires on the second Monday of August 2008.