Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

I've been contacted by the Ohio Department of Taxation regarding my stock option compensation. What do I need to provide?

You should provide all of the following items:

  • Copies of your US form 1040 Individual Income Tax returns for any year(s) in question;
  • A copy of all W-2(s) and a detailed breakdown of the compensation reported;
  • Residency information detailing the dates in which Ohio residency was established and distinguished;
  • Detail relating to each stock option transaction including:
    • The number of shares exercised;
    • The grant date;
    • The grant price;
    • The exercise date; AND
    • The exercise price.
  • A breakdown of total days worked inside of Ohio and outside of Ohio for the issuing company from grant until exercise [assume a 260-day work year];
  • Explanation of your position and duties performed leading to the stock option compensation and any other compensation earned in Ohio;
  • A copy of any employment agreement or compensation plan if applicable.