Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

I received a notice stating the Department is reviewing the Displaced Worker Credit claimed on my return. What do I need to send?

  1. A completed copy of the Displaced Worker Training Credit worksheet
  2. Proof of Cost (1098-T or statement of account from the institution providing the training)
  3. Proof of payment (copy of a receipt from the institution, copy of the front and back of a cleared check, a credit card or loan statement showing disbursement to the institution, etc., showing you paid the training expenses)
  4. Employer letter reflecting prior position, reason for separation, and last date of employment. It must include the name and address of the former employer issuing the letter. If unable to provide an employer letter, please provide a detailed statement regarding the job loss which includes all of the above information, along with your unemployment determination notification.     
  5. The taxpayer has 30 days from the date of the notice to respond with the appropriate documentation. After 30 days the credit amount will be disallowed, and a billing notice will be issued.