Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

I obtained a new federal employer’s identification number (FEIN) resulting from a change in my business status. Can I continue to use my Ohio withholding number?

No. You cannot continue to use the Ohio withholding number.

If a new FEIN is issued, you must register your new FEIN on the Ohio Business Gateway (OBG) to apply for a new Ohio withholding number that corresponds with the new FEIN. If you need further assistance with your registration, call our Registration Unit at 1-888-405-4089.

Also, the employer must file a final Ohio IT 941 in OBG, and IT 3 for the prior FEIN, and complete the Business Account Update Form (BA UF) and return it to us by fax or mail.