Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

When is an amended return NOT required to be filed?

Generally, an amended return is not required to be filed when a taxpayer is requesting changes such as name changes, address changes, or social security number changes, to name a few. These items can be changed through a phone call to the Department and/or sending documents to verify the change (if applicable).

Another instance of when an amended return is not necessarily warranted is when taxpayers forget to include tax withholding on income that has already been included in their Federal Adjusted Gross Income (FAGI). Taxpayers may call the Department for instruction on how to send the W2/1099 to receive credit for the withholding on their return.

Lastly, taxpayers responding to variance/billing notices generally will not have to file amended returns in response to Department notifications. Issues such as missing pages, missing schedules, or denial of any deductions and/or credits may simply be addressed by the taxpayer sending in appropriate correspondence in order to process their return as originally filed.