Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

My employer paid taxes to Ohio so I did not file and I no longer have my W-2 information.

You are required to file an Ohio income tax return each year if you are an Ohio resident or if you are a nonresident who earns or receives income from an Ohio source.  If you did not file a tax return, you are subject to a failure to file penalty.

To obtain your W-2 information, contact your employer.  If your employer cannot provide them to you, please send copies of your pay statement(s) showing the amount of Ohio income tax withheld together with a copy of the billing notice.

Mail copies of the W-2’s or pay statement(s) along with a copy of the RAR Billing Notice to the address shown on your billing notice.  We will review this information and notify you of any changes made.

NOTE: If you are unable to obtain the information within the time frame allowed please contact us.