Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

Can I request an extension for filing my tax return?

A taxpayer may request a 6-month extension of time to file. The extension request will be granted if it is received by the commissioner on or before the due date of the annual return or if the taxpayer has requested an extension for filing the federal income tax return. Please note, this is an extension of time to file not an extension of time to pay.