Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

If filing an amended IT 1040 to change residency status, what additional documentation should be sent in with the form?

To support a residency status change, provide a copy of the following documentation (if applicable):

  • Other state return(s)
  • Wage and income statements
  • Proof of taxes paid to other states (i.e. cancelled checks, transcripts, etc.)
  • Other documents showing a move to another state during the tax year (i.e. mortgage statements, lease agreements, utility bills, driver’s license, voter’s registration, etc.).