Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

When must the Clerks of Courts obtain an exemption certificate or obtain or issue form T-610 or form T-615?

Exemption certificates must be obtained on dealer title transfers of retail sales and forms T-610/T-615 must be obtained or issued on casual (non dealer) title transfers only when the purchaser is claiming one of the below listed exceptions/exemptions supported by an ATPS exemption code. In reality, forms T-610/T-615 have become the exemption certificates on casual title transfers. Note: If taxes are being paid on a title transfer, exemption certificates or form T-610/T-615 are not necessary.

CF Commercial fishing – watercraft – commercial fishing license required
CH Church
CM Conversion – military (purchased out-of-state for use out-of-state)
CS Consolidation
DF Direct use – farming
DM Direct use – mining
DO Direct use – oil and gas
DR Research and development
DS Dissolution to stockholder with no consideration
FD Foreign diplomat – exemption card required
IS Sale of a motor vehicle as interstate commerce
IP Individual to partnership with no consideration
MO Manufacturing operation – i.e., cement mixer
MR Corporate merger with no consideration
NP Nonprofit, charitable
NR Nonresident affidavit
OD Sale of a motor vehicle/watercraft to an out-of-state dealer
PD Partnership, dissolution with no consideration
PT Non licensed production transportation
PU Direct use in a public utility service
RD Resale – demonstrator (dealer permit and VL required)
RI Resale – implement/equipment dealer
RM Remanufacturing – chassis or part
RS Redeemed – return sale
RV Resale – watercraft (VL required)
RW Resale – wholesale only
TH Highway transportation for hire (PUCO or ICC permit number required)
TS Transportation services (VL required)
UM Undisturbed mortgage
VF Volunteer fire department – contract basis
WH Warehousing – not licensed for highway use