Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

What options are available to pay the RAR billing notice?

Several payment options are available for paying your RAR billing notice. You may use any of the following three methods:

Credit Card
You can use your Discover, VISA, MasterCard or American Express card to pay your RAR billing notice. You can make credit card payments either by visiting and clicking on the “Pay On-Line” link under the individual tab, Ohio ePayment link, On-line Services, and Log-in or Register or by calling 1-800-2PAY-TAX (1-800-272-9829).

Whether you pay via our Web site or by telephone, Official Payments Corporation will provide the credit card services. Official Payments Corporation charges a service fee equal to 2.5% (or $1, whichever is greater) of the amount of the transaction. Official Payments Corporation will bill your credit card account for this service fee. The State of Ohio and your school district do not receive any portion of this fee. 

Electronic Check
You can use the electronic check payment option in On-Line Services to pay your RAR billing notice. If you choose to make payment using an electronic check, it is the equivalent of using a debit card to withdraw money directly from your checking or savings account to pay the balance of the tax you owe.

The authorized amount will be withdrawn from your account within 24 hours unless you elect to delay payment. You can delay payment up until the payment deadline of the billing notice. Regardless of the date you choose, you must make sure that the money is in your account and available at that time.

Paper Check or Money Order
If you do not want to use a credit card or electronic check to make your payment, you may send a personal check or money order (payable to Ohio Treasurer of State) along with the bottom portion of the RAR audit notice.  Also include your social security number(s) and taxable year on your personal check or money order.

NOTE:  To avoid errors, please read or listen to all payment options when paying via internet or by telephone to ensure proper crediting of your payment.  When paying by telephone, choose the individual income tax billing notice payment option and the correct notice ID.