Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

Tax identity theft victims-recommended for all victims.

Steps to resolve:

  1. File a police report with your local law enforcement. Subsequently, if you have an Ohio driver's license, you may contact the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicle's (BMV) at 614-752-7600 to alert them of the identity theft committed against you.
  2. Contact at least one of the three major credit bureaus to place a fraud alert or all three major credit bureaus to place a security freeze on your credit records:

    Equifax 1-866-349-5191
    Experian 1-888-397-3742
    TransUnion 1-800-680-7289
  3. Contact the following organizations to report identity theft:

    IRS ID Theft Protection Unit: 1-800-908-4490
    Federal Trade Commission: 1-877-438-4338
    Social Security Administration: 1-800-772-1213
  4. Complete and file IRS Form 14039, if a Federal Income Tax return was also filed without your permission or if you have reason to believe that your Federal income taxes may be affected. Keep a copy for your records.
  5. Visit the Federal Trade Commission's one-stop ID Theft assistance and information resource page at Here you will be provided consumer reports, checklists, sample letters and links to other resources.
  6. Review for various resources, tips, and assistance offered to identity theft victims.