Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

Tax identity theft victims-victims with an Ohio income tax filing requirement.

Steps to resolve:

  1. File a paper Ohio Income Tax return (IT-1040) and mail to the appropriate address listed on the return.  Please also make sure to attach with your return all income source documents (employer issued W-2’s, 1099’s, etc.) and any applicable schedules.  Please keep a copy for your records. 
  2. Attach with your return, a fully completed Ohio Department of Taxation Identity Theft Affidavit (IT TA). It is encouraged to file a report with your local police department which may also be attached with your return.  Please keep a copy of all documentation submitted to us for your records.