Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

What do you need before you begin to use Ohio I-File for your school district return?

You will need the following information:

  • Please utilize our self-registration process. If you are unable to register, please follow the directions in  "Unable to Register" part here before beginning. If you are already registered, your User ID and password are all you need to start the process.

  • Your completed Ohio individual income tax return. Most taxpayers must first file the Ohio individual income tax return but there are rare exceptions when the Ohio return is not required. Taxpayers meeting this criterion can still file the school district return after completion of the registration process.

  • All of your W-2, W-2G, 1099 and K-1 forms;

  • Your checking or savings account information and bank routing number if you choose to directly deposit your refund or pay your tax by electronic check;

  • Your credit card information for payment of a balance due. Accepted credit cards include American Express, Discover, MasterCard and VISA;

  • We recommend that you have a printer ready to print a copy of your return for your records; and

  • You can choose to save your return in a portable document format (PDF) to your PC if your computer supports Adobe Acrobat Viewing Software.