Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

Can I get a copy of my return if I use Ohio I-File?

Yes. When you have completed filing your return you will be given a confirmation number that verifies you have filed your return. Along with your confirmation number you will also be shown your completed Ohio individual income tax return, form IT-1040 or your school district individual income tax return, form SD-100, as filed. You will be given the opportunity to print your confirmation number and your return for your records.

You can choose to save your return in a portable document format (PDF) to your PC if your computer supports Adobe Acrobat Viewing software. Important: In order to return to I-File, you must retain your registration information including your user ID and password.

If an electronic payment is made by credit card or electronic check, you will be given a separate confirmation number for that transaction. You will be given an opportunity to print this confirmation number for your records as well. We recommend you keep your return and confirmation for four years. However, you can log in to Income Tax Online Services to obtain transcripts of your returns for up to 10 years.