Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

Can an amended return be filed in Ohio to change filing status?

Although the IRS Revenue Ruling 2013-17 permits same-gender couples to file amended federal returns to change filing status to “married filing jointly” or “married filing separately”, no corresponding Ohio amended returns may be filed to change filing status for prior years.