Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

What is the procedure for requesting a refund?

Taxpayers may request a refund by filing an Application for Financial Institutions Tax Refund (FIT REF). An application is not needed if an overpayment is shown on an originally filed tax report. However, an application is needed if an overpayment is shown on an amended report.