Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

I am selling my business and I need a receipt showing that my Ohio income tax withholding liability is paid in order to provide evidence to a buyer or to transfer a liquor license. How do I obtain a receipt?

Please provide the following items to us on company letterhead, and we will provide you with a clearance letter:

  1. Legal business name & trade name (if applicable)
  2. The federal ID number (FEIN)
  3. Ohio employer withholding account number
  4. Business address
  5. Owner (or officer) name
  6. Last date of business
  7. Late date that the business had employees in Ohio
  8. Purchaser name (if known)

You may mail your request to the following address or eFax to 1-206-984-0378:

Ohio Department of Taxation
Taxpayer Services / Tax Release Unit
PO Box 182382
Columbus, OH  43218-2382