Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

My former spouse is currently serving in the Air Force in California. She is sending me monthly child support payments from her military pay. Are these payments eligible for the deduction for military active duty while stationed outside Ohio for taxable years 2007 and after?

No. Child support receipts are not taxable income, regardless of source, and are not included in federal adjusted gross income (FAGI). Since these amounts are not included in FAGI, they are not eligible for the deduction.

For more information:

You can reach us by e-mail at Our toll-free number for individual taxpayer inquiries is (800) 282-1780, and the toll-free number for forms is (800) 282-1782.