Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

I own a store in Kenton, Ohio and I employ the wife of a local Army recruiter. She has told me that she and her husband are not residents of Ohio. How do I handle Ohio state income tax withholding for her wages so that I'm in compliance with the federal military spouse tax provisions?

A 2009 amendment to the federal Servicemembers Civil Relief Act provides that if a servicemember and his/her spouse are domiciled in the same state, their domicile does not change when they move to another state pursuant to the servicemember's military orders. You and your employee should complete Ohio form  IT MIL-SP. Do not send a copy of the IT MIL-SP unless requested by the department. If you have an eligible military spouse working for you, you are not required to withhold Ohio income tax nor report her wages to the Ohio Department of Taxation. You should determine what the withholding and reporting requirements are for her state of domicile, and comply accordingly.

For federal income tax purposes, her federal income taxes must be withheld from her income following the normal business rules.

Please note that the Ohio form  IT MIL-SP asks the spouse to provide a copy of his/her military ID card as verification of status. This is specifically authorized by the Department of Defense.

The Ohio form IT MIL-SP applies only to Ohio state income taxes. Municipal income tax in Ohio is not administered by the state. It is administered separately by each municipality that has enacted a tax. Questions about municipal income tax should be directed to the appropriate municipality.

For more information:

You can reach us by e-mail at Our toll-free number for individual taxpayer inquiries is (800) 282-1780, and the toll-free number for forms is (800) 282-1782.