Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

I did have a refund for the amount listed on the 1099-G, but I made a contribution to one of the donation funds on my tax return. Do I have to report this as income?

Yes. We are required to report the total overpayment on your return, even though you contributed part or all of your refund to a donation. This overpayment is still income to you. If it was given as a donation, you may want to check with the IRS to see if any portion of what was donated can be included as an itemized deduction for charitable contributions.