Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

I am recently married or divorced and have changed my name. How do I update my name with the Ohio Department of Taxation?

Please fax an enlarged and lightened copy of your driver’s license and social security card showing your updated name to (206) 600-6113 or email to . If your name has not been updated on both your driver’s license and social security card, please include in your fax or email a copy of your marriage certificate (or other legal document to substantiate the legal name change). Be sure to provide a daytime phone number where you can be reached. We will only contact you if additional documentation is needed or we cannot read the faxed information.