Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

How can I get an extension to file my Ohio income tax return?

You must first file for an IRS extension of time. Ohio does not have a state extension form but allows the same extension as allowed by the IRS. You must include with your Ohio individual income tax return a copy of your IRS extension or your extension confirmation number or a printed copy of the IRS acknowledgement.

Except as set forth in the Exception below, there is no extension for paying the tax.

Exception: Certain military personnel may have an additional extension to file and pay. For additional information, please review Income Taxes and the Military.

The extension of time is granted for filing only. If you determine that you will owe tax, you must make your payment by the filing deadline. Ohio voucher payment form IT 40P must accompany your payment. When you prepare your Ohio income tax return, you can claim this payment as an IT 40P payment on your current Ohio IT 1040 Income Tax Return (refer to the current Ohio IT 1040 instructions available on the Forms page).

To obtain the IT 40P/IT 40XP form you may . . .

. . . visit our Forms Page.

. . . call toll-free at 1-800-282-1782 to have tax forms faxed or mailed to you.

You can make a payment of tax due by using your American Express, Discover, MasterCard or VISA credit or debit card. This service is available via our Web site at Ohio ePayment. Official Payments Corporation provides this service and charges each user a service fee for this service. The state does not receive any portion of this fee.

DO NOT SEND FORM IT 40P if you pay by credit or debit card.