Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

I moved into Ohio last year. How do I file an Ohio income tax return?

Anyone who earned or received income in Ohio must file an Ohio individual income tax return. If you were a part-year resident of Ohio, you are entitled to a credit against your Ohio income tax for income earned in another state. To claim this credit you must file an electronic or paper Ohio form IT 1040 and use the Nonresident Credit on the Ohio Schedule of Credits.

For assistance with this credit calculation or for help in completing a return, you can do the following:

• Call our Taxpayer Services line at 1-800-282-1780,

E-Mail Us your questions, or

All Ohio tax forms are available on our Web site at Tax Forms.