Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

What is my income for Ohio? Where do I start?

The starting point for the Ohio individual income tax return is your properly computed federal adjusted gross income that is reported on your federal income tax return for the same year.

You may obtain a transcript copy of your federal tax return from the Internal Revenue Service. This transcript of federal tax information is called a Tax Account Transcript. Please call 1-800-829-1040 or visit the IRS Web site and look for Tax Topics - Topic 156 Copy of Your Tax Return – How to Get One at Tax Topics.

Even if you are not required to file a federal income tax return you may still have to file an Ohio income tax return and pay Ohio income tax. To determine if you have to file an Ohio income tax return, please read the answer to frequently asked question FAQ #5, above.

For help in completing your Ohio individual income tax return, call us at 1-800-282-1780.