Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

What should I do if I need to correct my I-File income tax return?

You must file the Ohio amended individual income tax return, form IT 1040X for tax years 2014 and prior, to correct your original return. For 2015, use form Ohio Universal IT 1040 and check Yes to "Are you filing this as an amended return?" and also include form Ohio IT RE, Reasons and Explanations of Corrections. For 2015, use form Ohio IT 1040 and check Yes to "Is this an amended return?" and include form Ohio IT RE.

The Ohio IT 1040 and  IT 1040X Ohio amended individual income tax return is available as follows:

• Ohio Department of Taxation Web site at Tax Forms.

• By Fax: call toll-free at 1-800-282-1782 to have forms faxed or mailed to you.