Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

My spouse is deceased, but my refund check has both our names on it. What should I do?

We cannot rewrite a decedent's refund check to make it payable to the estate of the decedent.  Your bank should cash the refund check as long as your name is on it or you are the personal representative such as an executor or administrator for the deceased.  

We can rewrite the refund check to include the following if needed: 
1. Add deceased designation for your spouse and the date of death (requires a copy of death certificate)
2. Add an Executor or Claimant (requires death certificate and federal form 1310

If you need the refund check rewritten for either reason stated above, please mail the original refund check back with the appropriate documentation. 

Ohio Department of Taxation
Refund Research Unit
P.O. Box 2476
Columbus, Ohio 43216-2476