Instructions for Making Individual Tax Payments by Telephone
To get started on a credit card payment by telephone, call 1-800- 2PAY-TAX or 1-800-272-9829.
When prompted, use the telephone keypad to enter the jurisdiction code "O-H-I-O" (6 - 4 - 4 - 6).
The automated system will then ask for basic information, such as:
- the type of tax (either individual income tax or school district income tax)
- the situation that is prompting the payment (tax due, extension, estimated payment or a billing or assessment notice)
- a Social Security number and, if applicable, the four-digit school district number
- the amount being paid
- credit card information, such as the account number that appears on the card
Depending on the situation, the system may also ask:
- for a billing notice ID number (if paying in response to a billing notice)
- for an assessment serial number, the tax year; and the account number (if paying in response to an assessment).
Once this information is received, the automated telephone system will:
- indicate the total dollar amount of the payment, including the service fee;
- obtain approval for the charge
- provide a confirmation number for the transaction. Be sure to write down this confirmation number as record of your payment.
Remember: The credit card payment options are offered by the State of Ohio in cooperation with Official Payments Corporation. Official Payments Corporation charges a service fee of 2.5 percent (or $1, whichever is greater) on the amount of the transaction. The State of Ohio does not receive any portion of this fee.