FAQs - Corporation Franchise Tax

How do I register my corporation to do business in Ohio?

You will need to register your corporation with the Ohio Secretary of State's office in order to obtain your charter/license to conduct business in Ohio. You may download the registration forms from their Web site at: www.sos.state.oh.us/SOS/Businesses/businessServices.aspx

If you need to speak to someone in that office, the phone number is (877) 767-3453 or (614) 466-3910.

Once you register with the Ohio Secretary of State's office that information is provided to the Ohio Department of Taxation so that a corporation franchise tax account can be added to our system.

A corporation may be required to register for the commercial activity tax (CAT). For more detailed information, please refer to the section for commercial activity tax and its FAQs on the department’s Web site.