This section of the department’s Web site is designed for members of the media with questions about department events, policies or procedures. A collection of news releases issued since 1999 is available below.
If you are not a member of the news media, try our Contact Us page. If you are a member of the media, feel free to contact Gary Gudmundson at (614) 466-0099.
Recent News Releases
- Income tax season opens Jan. 27 - January 24, 2020
- Ohio’s Tax on Vapor Products Effective 10/1/2019 - September 30, 2019
- Ohio’s Income Tax Filing Season Nears - January 23, 2019
- TC's Final Letter to the Editor - January 3, 2019
- Ohio Cuts Income Tax Withholding Rates - November 30,2018
- Ohio response to Wayfair ruling - June 21,2018
- OHIO EXTENDS DUE DATE TO FILE AND PAY INCOME TAXES - April 18,2018
- Important Ohio Income Tax Changes Signed Into Law - April 2,2018
- Court Upholds State Law Changing Municipal Tax System - February 21,2018
- Your Help Needed Fighting Tax Fraud
- Tax Fraud Update
- Ohio Tax Commissioner Joe Testa op-ed on Stopping ID Theft from Paying Off
- Fact Sheet- Fighting Tax Fraud in Ohio
- Taxpayer Fraud Alert
- Ohio Business Gateway Opens for Municipal Tax - February 5, 2018
- Income Tax Filing Season Begins Monday, January 29th - January 26, 2018
- Income Tax Filing Deadline is April 18 - April 12, 2017
- Ohio Income Tax Filing Season Opens on January 23 - January 18, 2017
- Ohio's Second Sales Tax Holiday is Almost Here - August 3, 2016
- Ohio’s Tax Commissioner Wants to Hear from You - July 26, 2016
- Over 1 Million Fewer Taxpayers Asked to Take ID Quiz This Filing Season - June 9, 2016
- New Year; New Look: Ohio Income Tax Filing Season Opens Today - January 19, 2016
- More than One-Half Billion Dollars in Attempted Tax Theft Stopped by Ohio Department of Taxation - December 8, 2015
- Ohio's First Sales Tax Holiday is Near - July 29, 2015
- Ohio Farm Land Values Released, and Concerns Expressed at Hearing Today - May 28, 2015
- Ohio Department of Taxation Seeing No Let-up in Fraud Attempts - March 18, 2015
- Ohio's Fight Against Tax Fraud is Working - February 20, 2015
- Now Accepting 2014 Income Tax Returns - January 22, 2015
- Ohio Small Businesses - Don't Pass Up 50% Off! - September 15, 2014
- Criminal Investigations Division Earns Award of Excellence - August 6, 2014
- Governor Signs Legislation Providing Further Tax Relief for Ohioans - June 17, 2014
- Continuing to Strengthen Ohio: Cutting the Income Tax and Stimulating Job Creation - March 12, 2014
- Ohio Department of Taxation Goes Mobile - March 10, 2014
- Tax Commissioner Delivers New Era of Service for Business Taxpayers - February 12, 2014
- Ohio Tax Commissioner Issues Alert to All Ohio Small Businesses - January 21, 2014
A majority of small business owners and entrepreneurs in Ohio are eligible for a 50 percent tax deduction on their first $250,000 of business income as part of tax cuts approved last year, according to an alert issued by Ohio Tax Commissioner Joe Testa today
- Legislation Sought to Refund Businesses All Overpaid Taxes - November 25, 2013
- Lower Tax Withholding Rates Take Effect September 1 — August 26, 2013
- Conformity Bill Eliminates Significant Tax Filing Complications — March 25, 2013
Ohio Governor John Kasich has now signed into law a bill that brings the state income tax system into alignment with the federal tax system, an act important to thousands of Ohio income tax filers.
- Ohio Use Tax Amnesty Coming to an End Soon — March 21, 2013
On May 1, 2013, Ohio’s first-ever use tax amnesty program will end as will the opportunity for businesses to pay -- with no penalty or interest -- any unpaid use tax liability incurred since January 2009.
- Ohio opening its doors to 2012 Online Income Tax Filing— January 7, 2013
Ohio Reversing Old Anti-Business Tax Policy: Millions in Overpayments Being Returned — December 18, 2012
Ohio Governor John Kasich is lauding a new department policy that'll return money to thousands of Ohio's business taxpayers.
Ohio Reminds Shoppers of Obligation to Pay Tax on Untaxed Purchases — November 21, 2012
The Ohio Department of Taxation (ODT) is reminding shoppers on ‘Black Friday’, Cyber Monday and throughout this holiday season that if you buy something online or from a catalog, and the seller does not charge you sales tax, then Ohio law requires you to pay the tax directly to ODT.
Ohio General Tax Amnesty Program Opens for Business (but opportunity ends soon!) — May 1, 2012
Ohio taxpayers have until June 15th to pay unreported taxes without penalty and only half the normal interest rate.
Ohio Tax Reform Efforts Honored — Jan. 24, 2012
Former Cleveland-area legislator Sally Conway Kilbane today was inducted into the Ohio State and Local Tax Hall of Fame at the 21st annual Ohio Tax Conference in Columbus.
- Ready, Set...File — Jan. 09, 2012
For those who hate to wait, the doors opened today for electronic filing of the 2011 Ohio income tax.
- Ohio Offering Businesses Tax Amnesty to Raise Awareness of Little-known Use Tax — Sept. 26, 2011
Use Tax Amnesty starts October 1, 2011— features no penalty on tax owed.
- Ohio Taxpayers Encouraged to Scrap Paper Returns and File Online — Feb. 24, 2011
Paperless filing expected to continue rapid growth
Archived News Releases