Student Tax Education Program - Income Tax

Going into the Military

Do I still need to file Ohio or school district income tax returns?

Yes, military members whose home of record is Ohio are required to file an Ohio income tax return each year and a school district tax return if they are domiciled in a taxing school district.

  • The address a military member claims as their legal residence when they joined the military is where they are domiciled. If that residence is in a taxing school district they are required to file and pay any taxes due.
  • If you are a military member whose home of record is another state, but you are stationed in Ohio, then you will want to file form IT-10 with Ohio.
  • Keep in mind that non-military income earned by the service member may be taxable to Ohio and would require an Ohio income tax return to be filed.