Student Tax Education Program - Starting a Business

Determine if a FEIN (Federal Employer Identification Number) is Needed

In general, businesses that have employees, corporations, partnerships, and other organizations are required to obtain a FEIN from the Internal Revenue Service. Please consult with the IRS to determine if a FEIN is needed for your company.


Internal Revenue Service

Phone: (800) 829-4933


When registering with the state of Ohio, sole proprietors generally use their social security number (SSN).  Although it is not required to obtain a FEIN, a sole proprietor can obtain a FEIN and use in place of their SSN. A sole proprietor is required to obtain an FEIN if they have employees.