Teens and Taxes Home Teens and Everyday Taxes Filing Your Ohio Inocome Taxes Young Entreprenurs Tax History

Filing Requirements & Forms?




Crossword Puzzle

Puzzle Key

Scenario A - Jane's Story 

Scenario B - John and Jane's Story


Am I required to file?

Every Ohio resident and part-year resident is subject to the Ohio Income Tax. If any of the following points apply to you, you are not required to file a return.

  • You are single and your federal adjusted gross income is less than or equal to $12,200 and you have no adjustments on Schedule A (pg. 3) of the Ohio IT-1040 tax return.
  • You are married, filing jointly and your federal adjusted gross income is less than or equal to $14,400 and you have no adjustments on Schedule A (pg. 3) of the Ohio IT-1040 tax return.
  • Your exemption amount (line 4) on the Ohio IT-1040 is the same as or more than your Ohio adjusted gross income (line 3).
  • Please see the Ohio Income Tax instructions for the current year for more information on filing requirements.


Return to Top


Benefits of filing

If you have determined that you are not required to file an Ohio income tax return, you still may be eligible for a refund upon filing a return. If you worked at a job where your employer withheld taxes on your behalf to be paid to the State of Ohio, and this amount equals more than the tax amount due, then you are entitled to a refund. That refund may equal up to the entire amount paid in by your employer.

To determine if your employer withheld taxes, see the W-2 form sent to you from your employer. Boxes 15 and 17 would show that a tax amount was taken out for Ohio, and what amount that was.


Return to Top


Documents I use when filing my return:

Use your W-2 form(s) sent by your employer(s) or 1099 if you are self-employed. See Topic #5 for more information on these documents.

If you are filing a paper return, you will need to mail in a copy of the IT-1040 or IT-1040 EZ. Click on the form name and you will be taken to a printable copy of this form. Instructions are available for viewing and printing as well. Keep in mind, the instructions will be a lengthy document to print.

You can also file your return electronically. We encourage you to use our free and secure website tool called I-File. Instructions are provided as you go and will reduce the processing time for your return. This means you will receive your refund faster. You are also eligible to have your refund directly deposited to your bank account, which means less time waiting for your money!


Return to Top


Other key points for filing:

If you are required to file a tax return for the State of Ohio, you also may be required to file a School District Income Tax return if you live in a taxing district. This form is called the SD-100 and may be found on our website for print or filed online using I-File.

To see if you live in a taxing school district, you can visit The Finder. Type in the address where you lived during that tax year and our system will tell you what school district you lived in, what the district ID number is, and what the tax rate is.

You will need to file multiple school district tax returns if you moved during the tax year from one taxing district to another. If you moved during the tax year, be sure to check the school district for each address where you lived. These would be filed as part-year resident returns.


Return to Top


How does my filing impact my parents if they still claim me as an exemption?

If your parents claim you on their Ohio tax return form, you are not eligible for the deduction and credit on your own Ohio IT-1040.


Return to Top