Vehicle Taxes

All title transfers and exemption claims on motor vehicles and other equipment is regularly audited by the Ohio Department of Taxation in accordance with Ohio Revised Code (RC) 4505.09(B)(2)(c) and 5739.13 to verify if the sales tax liability has been satisfied.

When a motor vehicle title is transferred, the price of the vehicle is reported to a Clerk of Courts Title Office and sales tax is paid on the price of the vehicle.   


Key Resources

Casual Sales – These sales are defined as the transfer of a motor vehicle title between two individuals who are not affiliated with a licensed dealership. Learn more here.  

Exemptions & Taxability – Ohio law allows certain vehicle transactions to be made without paying sales tax. Find out more here.

Leasing & Dealer Transactions – This link is for licensed dealerships to obtain more information on the application of sales tax to their transactions including leases.   

Aircraft – The sale of an aircraft may be subject to sales tax. This page will provide additional resources regarding the taxability of aircraft.

Watercraft & Outboard Motors – The transfer of a watercraft or outboard motor is generally taxed in the same manner as motor vehicles. Get the information you need here.

Downloads – Forms, questionnaires, and additional resources can be found on this page. Please click on the download link in order to see a list of available forms to download.

Did you receive a letter from us?  - This link will provide more information on notices that are sent and how best to respond.


Frequently Asked Questions Tool

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on  the category you are interested in  .  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

Is an ambulance service entitled to claim exemption from sales and use tax under the "used directly in the rendition of a public utility service" exemption?

The public utility (PU) exemption covers ambulance services if the following conditions exist:

(1) the purchaser has a certificate of public convenience and necessity;  and 2) the vehicle is directly and primarily used in providing the ambulance service.  Note—Private ambulance companies do not qualify for the public utility exemption unless they hold a certificate of public convenience and necessity. 

For this exemption, the purchaser must provide two copies of a motor vehicle exemption certificate indicating that the vehicle is "used directly in the rendition of a public utility service". The clerk will retain one copy and forward one copy to the Department of Taxation for review. The clerk issues the title using the ATPS exemption code: “PU: Direct use in a public utility service.”