Report and Identity Phishing Attempts and Email Scams
Please be alert to suspicious email communications that may
appear to be from the Ohio Department of Taxation. If you
receive an email from someone claiming to represent the
Department of Taxation, keep these things in mind:
- the department will NOT send emails with links directing
you to download and install software.
- the department will NOT request detailed personal
information through email.
- the department will NOT send email requesting you to
respond by providing your user ID, password, or financial
information such as details of accounts or credit cards.
If you receive a suspicious email from someone claiming to
represent the Ohio Department of Taxation, take these steps
to protect yourself:
- Do not reply.
- Do not open any attachments, as they could infect your
- Do not click on any links. If you have clicked on
links in a suspicious email or website and entered
confidential information, visit the Federal Trade Commission
website (www.ftc.gov) and review the commission's
information on identity theft.
- Forward the suspicious email to email@example.com for
investigation, then be sure to delete the email.
How to spot a malicious email:
- Look for email addresses with domain names that do not
appear to be associated with the organization the email is
supposed to be from.
Example: Official Department of Taxation
communications will not be issued from a public domain
email account such as firstname.lastname@example.org
- Look for links in the email that do not match the Web
address that you intend to visit.
Example: If you hover your mouse cursor
over a link in an email, the Web address (or URL) that is
displayed should match the link referenced in the email
- Beware of emails that threaten loss of service if you do
not respond by a certain date.
Example: "Your account will not be valid
after June 1 if you do not follow the instructions in
- Beware of emails that ask you to supply confidential
Example: Account numbers, passwords,
credit card numbers, etc.
- Beware of emails that ask you to install software by
clicking on a link the email message.