Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

What should I do if my tax records were affected by identity theft?

If you receive a notice from the IRS and/or the Ohio Department of Taxation, respond immediately. If you believe someone may have used your SSN illegally, please notify the IRS and the Ohio Department of Taxation immediately by responding to the notice(s) with the respective requested documentation. For the IRS, you will need to fill out and submit the IRS Identity Theft Affidavit, Form 14039 . For the Ohio Department of Taxation you will need to fill out and submit a separate Identity Theft Affidavit.

If your questions are not answered in these FAQs, call the IRS @ 1-800-908-4490 and/or the Ohio Department of Taxation @   1-800-282-1780.

Identity theft online resources:

IRS Taxpayer Guide to Identity Theft:

IRS Identity Protection:

Ohio Attorney General Identity Theft:

Federal Trade Commission Identity Theft:

Internet Crime Prevention Tips:

Social Security Administration:

You should contact the three major credit reporting bureaus to report identity theft:

Equifax         1-800-525-6285

Experian      1-888-397-3742

TransUnion   1-800-680-7289

Free annual credit report: