Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

I never received a W-2 form. What should I do?

You are required to file your Ohio individual income tax return whether or not you have received your form W-2, wage and tax statement. Employers must mail W-2's to their employees by Jan. 31. If you haven't received your W-2 by Feb. 15, check with your employer to verify that it was sent to you at your current address.

If your employer is out of business or refuses to issue your W-2, you should report this information to the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-1040.

If you do not receive a W-2 statement, you may submit a properly completed federal form 4852 to estimate the Ohio tax your employer withheld from your paycheck. You should be able to verify this through your payroll check stubs. The information you enter on the 4852 form is subject to verification. To request federal form 4852 substitute wage and tax statement, please visit the Internal Revenue Service Web site Forms and Publications section at: