Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in.  A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

I need to file an income tax return but do not have my W-2's. Where can I get them?

Please contact your employer for copies of your W-2's. If your employer cannot provide them to you, please send copies of your year ending pay statement showing the amount of Ohio income tax withheld, with your completed tax return. Ohio does not have a substitute W-2 form but will honor the approved federal form 4852 if you properly completed that form. Information on the form 4852 is subject to verification. To obtain this form, visit the IRS Web site's Forms and Publications section at: ODT