Employer Withholding: Table of Contents
With rare exception, employers that do business in Ohio are responsible for withholding Ohio individual income tax from their employees' pay. Ohio employers also have the responsibility to withhold school district income tax from the pay of employees who reside in a school district that has enacted such a tax.
More details on employer withholding are available below.
- General guidelines — An introduction to Ohio employer withholding responsibilities.
- 2013 withholding resources:
- 2012 withholding resources:
- Withholding Tables:
- Professional Employer Organizations NEW — These entites are required to submit a report of their client employers to the Department of Taxation. Information regarding the new filing requirement is available here.
- Electronic registration — Register online through the Ohio Business Gateway (OBG) and obtain your license/registration immediately. Note: You must first register to use OBG.
- Employer Withholding forms
- School District Withholding forms
- Other Tax forms — A complete database of state tax forms and instruction booklets is available here.
- Frequently asked questions
- Information releases — Information releases are technical advisories that offer detailed explanations of the laws, rules and rulings that govern the taxes administered by the Ohio Department of Taxation.
- Interest rates — The interest rate that applies to overdue taxes changes each year.
- Pay by credit card
- Rules — This page includes information on current and proposed administrative rules of the Department of Taxation.
- Voluntary disclosure — This program is designed for taxpayers who believe they have outstanding tax liabilities and wish to resolve them.
- Closing a business — There are certain tax responsibilities associated with closing a business. Learn more here.
- Responsible party assessment — Employees of government agencies concerned with delinquent tax collections of sales and use, employer withholding and motor fuel taxes who become aware of information that could form the basis of an assessment can request an assessment of a responsible party.
- Contact us