Instructions for Making Individual Tax Payments by Telephone
To get started on a credit card payment by telephone, call
(800) 2PAY-TAX (800-272-9829).
When prompted, use the telephone keypad to enter the
jurisdiction code "O-H-I-O" (6 - 4 - 4 - 6).
The automated system will then ask taxpayers to enter basic
information, such as:
- the type of tax (either individual income tax or school
district income tax)
- the situation that is prompting the payment (tax due,
extension, estimated payment or a billing or assessment
- a Social Security number and, if applicable, the
four-digit school district number
- the amount being paid
- credit card information, such as the account number that
appears on the card
Depending on the situation, the system may also ask:
- for a billing notice ID number (if paying in response to
a billing notice)
- for an assessment serial number, the tax year; and the
account number (if paying in response to an assessment).
Once this information is received, the automated telephone
- indicate the total dollar amount of the payment,
including the service fee;
- obtain approval for the charge
- provide taxpayers with a confirmation number for the
transaction. Be sure to write down this confirmation
number as record of your payment.
Remember: The credit card payment options
are offered by the State of Ohio in cooperation with Official
Payments Corporation. official Payments Corporation charges a
service fee of 2.5 percent (or $1, whichever is
greater) on the amount of the transaction. The State
of Ohio does not receive any portion of this fee.
To review other payment options, click here.