Table of Contents
The corporation franchise tax, a business privilege tax that dates back to 1902, no longer applies to the vast majority of corporations. Instead, most corporations are now subject to the commercial activity tax (CAT).
For report years 2010 and thereafter, the corporation franchise tax applies only to financial institutions and a relatively small number of other corporations described in Ohio Revised Code 5733.01(G)(1)(b). For more information on the tax, see the resources below.
- Filing exemptions — The tax commissioner normally waives an annual filing requirement that would otherwise continue to apply to S corporations as well as certain REITs, RICs and REMICs. Learn more here.
- Current forms — Current corporation franchise tax forms are located here.
- Archived forms — Corporation franchise tax that are more than five years old are archived here.
- All other forms — All other tax forms are located here.
- Frequently asked questions — Answers to some of the more frequently asked questions about the corporation franchise tax may be found here.
- Information releases — Information releases are technical advisories that offer detailed explanations of the laws, rules and rulings that govern the taxes administered by the Ohio Department of Taxation.
- Rates — A schedule of corporation franchise tax rates and litter tax rates dating back to 1972 may be found here.
- Annual report (PDF) — The corporation franchise tax chapter of the Department of Taxation's annual report is located here.
- Closing a business — Certain tax responsibilities are associated with closing a business. Learn more here.
- Electronic funds transfer (EFT) (PDF) — Guidance on how to make EFT payments may be found here.
- Offer in compromise — This program offers some delinquent taxpayers a chance to settle their debts.
- Rules — Resources on the department's proposed and final administrative rules are located here.
- Voluntary disclosure — This program is designed for taxpayers who believe they have corporation franchise tax liabilities and wish to resolve them.
- Contact us