This section of the department’s Web site is designed for members of the media with questions about department events, policies or procedures. A collection of news releases issued since 1999 is available below.
If you are not a member of the news media, try our Contact Us page. If you are a member of the media, feel free to contact Gary Gudmundson at (614) 466-0099.
Recent News Releases
- Now Accepting 2014 Income Tax Returns - January 22, 2015
- Ohio Small Businesses - Don't Pass Up 50% Off! - September 15, 2014
- Criminal Investigations Division Earns Award of Excellence - August 6, 2014
- Governor Signs Legislation Providing Further Tax Relief for Ohioans - June 17, 2014
- Continuing to Strengthen Ohio: Cutting the Income Tax and Stimulating Job Creation - March 12, 2014
- Ohio Department of Taxation Goes Mobile - March 10, 2014
- Tax Commissioner Delivers New Era of Service for Business Taxpayers - February 12, 2014
- Ohio Tax Commissioner Issues Alert to All Ohio Small Businesses - January 21, 2014
A majority of small business owners and entrepreneurs in Ohio are eligible for a 50 percent tax deduction on their first $250,000 of business income as part of tax cuts approved last year, according to an alert issued by Ohio Tax Commissioner Joe Testa today
- Legislation Sought to Refund Businesses All Overpaid Taxes - November 25, 2013
- Lower Tax Withholding Rates Take Effect September 1 — August 26, 2013
- Conformity Bill Eliminates Significant Tax Filing Complications — March 25, 2013
Ohio Governor John Kasich has now signed into law a bill that brings the state income tax system into alignment with the federal tax system, an act important to thousands of Ohio income tax filers.
- Ohio Use Tax Amnesty Coming to an End Soon — March 21, 2013
On May 1, 2013, Ohio’s first-ever use tax amnesty program will end as will the opportunity for businesses to pay -- with no penalty or interest -- any unpaid use tax liability incurred since January 2009.
- Ohio opening its doors to 2012 Online Income Tax Filing — January 7, 2013
Ohio Reversing Old Anti-Business Tax Policy: Millions in Overpayments Being Returned — December 18, 2012
Ohio Governor John Kasich is lauding a new department policy that'll return money to thousands of Ohio's business taxpayers.
Ohio Reminds Shoppers of Obligation to Pay Tax on Untaxed Purchases — November 21, 2012
The Ohio Department of Taxation (ODT) is reminding shoppers on ‘Black Friday’, Cyber Monday and throughout this holiday season that if you buy something online or from a catalog, and the seller does not charge you sales tax, then Ohio law requires you to pay the tax directly to ODT.
Ohio General Tax Amnesty Program Opens for Business (but opportunity ends soon!) — May 1, 2012
Ohio taxpayers have until June 15th to pay unreported taxes without penalty and only half the normal interest rate.
Ohio Tax Reform Efforts Honored — Jan. 24, 2012
Former Cleveland-area legislator Sally Conway Kilbane today was inducted into the Ohio State and Local Tax Hall of Fame at the 21st annual Ohio Tax Conference in Columbus.
- Ready, Set...File — Jan. 09, 2012
For those who hate to wait, the doors opened today for electronic filing of the 2011 Ohio income tax.
- Ohio Offering Businesses Tax Amnesty to Raise Awareness of Little-known Use Tax — Sept. 26, 2011
Use Tax Amnesty starts October 1, 2011— features no penalty on tax owed.
- Ohio Taxpayers Encouraged to Scrap Paper Returns and File Online — Feb. 24, 2011
Paperless filing expected to continue rapid growth
- 2011 Income Tax Cut Marks Final Step in Historic Tax Reform Plan — Dec. 30, 2010
Ohio’s individual income tax rates will fall by more than 4 percent across the board next year, meaning additional savings for Ohio taxpayers and concluding one of the most ambitious packages of state tax cuts ever undertaken in Ohio.
- Tax Commissioner: Tax Foundation's Index Not a Credible Source — Dec. 3, 2010
In a guest column published in Business First, Tax Commissioner Richard A. Levin warns Ohioans that the Tax Foundation's State Business Tax Climate Index should not be taken seriously.
- Sales Tax Rate to Change Oct. 1 in Two Counties — Sept. 20, 2010
The Ohio Department of Taxation today reminded all business owners that the local sales tax rates will increase by a quarter of a percent beginning Oct. 1, 2010 in Brown and Sandusky counties.
- New Ohio Income Tax Tables Will Save Taxpayers $25 Million — Aug. 2, 2010
The Ohio Department of Taxation today unveiled its first-ever adjustment of Ohio’s individual income tax tables for inflation, a move that will save Ohioans an estimated $25 million annually starting with the returns due next spring.
- Sales Tax Rate in Ottawa County to Change on July 1 — June 22, 2010
The Ohio Department of Taxation today reminded Ottawa County business owners that the local sales tax rate will increase by a quarter of a percent beginning on July 1, 2010.
- Homestead Exemption Applications Due June 7 — June 3, 2010
Senior citizens and disabled homeowners who are not already enrolled in the property tax relief program known as the homestead exemption have until Monday, June 7 to sign up for the 2010 tax year.
New Data: Ohio's State Tax Burden Lower than Most States — March 31, 2010
New statistics from the U.S. Census Bureau show that the burden of state taxes is lower in Ohio than most other states, including all of Ohio’s neighbors.
- Tobacco Sweep Rolls Up Illegal Sellers — Feb. 24, 2010
Inspections of tobacco retailers by enforcement agents from the Ohio Department of Taxation have resulted in charges against four businesses in Jefferson and Columbiana counties.
- Tobacco Hotline is New Way to Catch Tax Cheats — Feb. 17, 2010
Citizens who suspect retailers of selling untaxed tobacco products can help the state snuff out illegal activity by calling a new toll-free hotline: (877) SMOKE-80.
Delphi Pensioners May Need to Make Estimated Tax Payments — Jan. 28, 2010
The Ohio Department of Taxation cautioned Delphi Corporation retirees that they may need to make quarterly estimated tax payments based on the income they are starting to receive from the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC).
Other news releases