Ohio Tax Alert Archives


Purchase and lease of motor vehicles by foreign diplomats
Effective immediately, the United States Department of State, Office of Foreign Missions, has informed the Ohio Department of Taxation that foreign diplomats and their members and dependents must have a Motor

Vehicle Tax-Exemption Letter issued by the Office of Foreign Missions in order to purchase or lease a motor vehicle without paying use tax. The Diplomatic Tax Exemption Cards currently used by such persons to make tax-exempt purchases cannot be used to purchase motor vehicles exempt from use tax.

The Office of Foreign Missions has issued a letter that provides information on how to obtain the Motor Vehicle Tax-Exemption.